Sunday, December 6, 2009

The second rule of Fight Club? Figure out how to post two videos in one post.

3 comments:

betsey said...

Do you ever think you would use these skills? Do any of your friends/instructors have experience using hand to hand combat in the field? Just curious? It seems like one of the reasons it might be taught is to get some the 19 year old boy aggression out.

Edward said...

Yeah there is that. I mean the Army fosters a controlled aggressive attitude toward fighting in general and the idea is that this sort of training will make you more effective in the field by speeding up the decision making process and getting us used to 'flight/fight' responses. When we know what it's like to face off (though not necessarily always win) against a guy who has fifty pounds and eight inches on us without hesitating, then I think we can modulate the adrenalin a little.

As to your question, I'm not sure if it gets used a lot in the field. Our commander made no real bones about it; the guy who wins the fight downrange is the guy whose friends show up first with guns. Part of it is just knowing how not to lose a fight if the fracas is that close. I mean it's not like the Army send out commandos armed only with their bare hands.

betsey said...

Thanks for the response Edward-o. We love and miss you!