Tuesday, June 15, 2010

RSA Animate - Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us

6 comments:

a gimbel said...

A friend from school shared this video with me today, and it is incredibly interesting. I thought you might enjoy watching it, so here is a link to see it.

betsey said...

This is what I am studying RIGHT NOW! I'm in a management course for my MSLIS degree and we are studying about motivation. There are intrinsic motivations that inspire people to do better (more responsibility, sense of accomplishment, chance to learn something new etc...) that motivate people in addition to the extrinsic rewards (improved salary, title etc) We have argued in my class that it takes a combination and balance between the two to completely satisfy people.

How does this tie into what YOU do Claudia? Do you see the relationship between you and your students as employee/manager? Do you think that there are extrinsic rewards offered to students today or just intrinsic rewards?

a gimbel said...

I believe that the best and most permanent learning happens as a result of personal curiosity and desire to know. Since most thirteen year olds often have diminished curiosity (particularly about math) and little desire, I have to think about what I can do to engage them, and nurture their intrinsic motivations. Research has shown that grades (and/or money) can sometimes motivate students, but that the effects are not long lasting.

I do not necessarily see my relationship with my students as manager/employee, but I do know that for them to learn from me they must feel some sort of emotional attachment, such as a counselor or mentor. One of the most important things I need to do from the start of the school year is to build a relationship of trust and caring. When they trust me, they may be more able to internalize my passion for mathematics. When they can see the relevance of the math in their own lives, and understand its potential to improve their futures, they will have the intrinsic motivation to work hard and develop the "patient problem-solving" they will need to persist when the work gets difficult.

Do I sound too pollyanna-ish? This is the way I wish the world was rather than the way it really is. I often wonder if it's because I haven't captured their imagination yet or tapped into their curiosity, and that the fault for this lies with me. The Dalai Lama said that such negative talk doesn't exist in his culture, and he wonders why Americans do this. Any thoughts?

a gimbel said...

Final paragraph, I meant to say "negative SELF-talk"

oops.

MikeS said...

That is certainly interesting. I know why Americans like to engage in negative self-talk. They do it to blend in. Nobody wants to stand out.

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

Fun. I'm sure most everybody would like to say that they are mostly motivated by a higher cause. However I'm sure that mobsters and thugs might disagree with this theory.

As for "negative self-talk" (which sounds a little odd after translation) I would disagree with you, Mike. Where some may feel the pressure to speak like their friends do in high school, I think mostly Americans use it as an expression of humility. Either that or it's a sign of low self-esteem. I hate to say this in response to the Dalai Lama, but I'm not sure that Tibetans don't speak about themselves negatively. Perhaps if it is a cultural taboo, people think negatively about themselves privately. That seems more polyanna-ish that what you were saying, Claudia.