Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Who?!?!


So I figured you'd all get a kick out of this shot of Brandon. He was messing with my Photobooth and snapped this crazy shot of himself. It doesn't even look like him. But I guess that's the point.

It's been a while since I've logged an entry but you are all keeping me entertained and I'm appreciative. We were in Erie this past weekend for Papa's memorial service. It was a nice service. They opened the pulpit just like testimony meeting and people got up and shared memories. Papa had been an algebra teacher and football coach in the small community of Harborcreek for 50 years. He was a strict teacher that instilled a healthy-level of fear in his student yet also seemed to garner a generous amount of respect from the community. He even had Brandon's mom in class in the early sixties and I think that might have been how Nana and Papa originally met. Nana was a widow with three daughters all in early high school. Brandon's real grandfather passed away suddenly at 36 and Nana was left to take care of the girls. She did a great job but I'm sure was grateful for the companionship that Papa provided for nearly 40 years. He'll be missed.

Anyway. The service made me think about impact. The church was full and I guess you could say at 80 year's old he had made an impact in other's lives. I wonder who will be at my funeral? I wonder what they'll say? "Boy did she manage that Ceilings Project gracefully." "That ad strategy and plan was top-notch." Probably. But would it be true? Or better yet does it mean any thing? Who really cares? Not looking for any real answers, just thinking out loud.

Alright. I need to run. Lilly's home and needs to be taken out. I need to head to the gym and then hopefully do a little work. A fun little Wednesday night, you could say.

I love and miss you all
-M

14 comments:

a gimbel said...

At least you were good at something marjorie. We all love you.

-karl

betsey said...

I'd speak at your funeral Marjorie...and I wouldn't talk about your job...cause I don't really know what you do :) I'd talk about how you loved Aladdin and the movie Beaches hehehehe :)

Just teasing...we would all say how you are such a good rememberer for important dates (like birthdays and anniversaries) and you are a thoughtful gift giver and that you are very very funny...that is why we like you

a gimbel said...

You did love aladdin. Or at least that is something we pretended you liked... kinda like grandma and turtles. I bet she was sick and tired of always getting turtles.

And don't knock Beaches. I made emily watch that. It's a gimbel staple. Is there a gimbel who doesn't like beaches?

-karl

Edward said...

I'll speak at your funeral. Or maybe I'll sing. Or maybe I'll get up to speak and then I'll forget my notes and I'll have to make something up and then I'll get the hiccups because I'm nervous and I'll tell some horrible story about the time I was locked in the bathroom downstairs and I had to crawl out the window to escape. I don't even remember if it was you Margie that locked me in there, but it'll be the only story I can think of at the time. And then everyone will get the wrong idea about your life.

Maybe I should just stick to singing.

-Rusty

a gimbel said...

I love Beaches. I watch that movie at least once every summer, and think of Blythe Youngquist, and how we're not friends anymore. Shame on me for taking away my friendship without even talking to her about it. Maybe SHE'LL sing for me when I die like CeeCee sang for Hillary.

On a more serious note, I've been wondering if (when) Grandpa dies, who will come to his funeral? He doesn't really have too many more friends left--just a couple of oldsters from the church in Minnesota, and of course, all the Sumner family. Do you know that when Grandma Gimbel died, she only had about fifteen people at her funeral and seven of those were people from the Branch she had never met. I went through all of her photos, and made a wonderful display about all the aspects of her life. I also got to deliver her eulogy, which she would have hated having me do since she didn't like me, but Ed was not about to do any public speaking.

The important thing to remember is that you won't care about your funeral because you'll be dead, and on to other adventures, although I actually felt my mother's presence at her funeral because it was such a wonderful celebration of her life.

So.....will all you guys speak at my funeral and say funny things? Let me know.

Love you all......Mother

a gimbel said...

I have NEVER seen Beaches!

DaD

a gimbel said...

best post ever. ^^^^^


i don't think i've seen beaches ever either. the only quote is "i've got a bad back" "you've got a bad attitude."

-ryan

a gimbel said...

hahaha... dad you're funny, but i find that hard to believe.

-karl

a gimbel said...

Love the quote, Ryan! You have seen that movie.

Kisses!
-M

stacey said...

sorry to be nosy, and invade in the Gimbel chat "room" but Betsey gave me the info, so yell at her. first of all I love hearing all your stories. You all are so funny, expecally with the comments.
Anyway everone of you will be missed by someone when you die. you all have made a great impact on someones live wether you know it or not.
Pluse the funerals are for the living anyway, that is when all the family can find time to take off work to greive with each other, isn't that funny that whenever someone dies and we all gettogeher and were like we need to do this more offten - not just when someone dies, and everyone is like yea -- then life just keeps going and we get too busy, and then here we are at another funeral. --- hey everyone slow down - enjoy life.

love you all
stacey

a gimbel said...

You are not invading at all Stacey. It's a family forum and you, of course, are family.

Does anyone else find it creepy when mom signs her posts and comments "Mother"? When she does I just get the picture of a large family in the hills of Kentucky that have never left their house because of thier controlling "mother". Maybe i'm just being goofy.

a gimbel said...

That last post was from me, karl. I initially didn't put my name in fear that mother would beat me for the comment.

-karl

Edward said...

"Yes mother. Sorry mother. Right away mother."

-Rusty

a gimbel said...

Okay, so from now on I'm Claudia. It's interesting that you have such negative connotations of the work mother. "Mother, I love you, Mother, I do....Heavenly Father has sent me to you...." I always think of you guys singing with the Primary on Mother's Day at church, and I love the appelation.

Do you know that every night when I enter into Grandpa's apartment that I always say, "Hi Daddy!" What's up with that? I'm fifty-two years old; he's almost ninety. I still can't figure out where that's coming from, but I can't seem to help myself.

Ed says it bothers him to hear me talk to my dad, because, to him, I sound very condescending--like I'm talking to a two-year old instead of to my dad. I don't mean to. Do you all think I talk like that to you? Like you're still two? I know I certainly don't mean to. I'm sorry if I ever come across that way.

Speaking of my dad, he says he is ready to go into the real nursing home. I think it will be really hard for him because it will mean giving up any vestige of freedom and choice. But I will still visit him every day.

Well, gotta bolt. Love you all
-Claudia-