So.
I've joined the US Army. Big shocker I know, but there are reasons. Honest.
I was worried about telling you guys because I was worried about what you all would think about my decision. There are a lot of benefits (and naturally a number of unpleasant realities) and I did think a long hard time about the decision. I figured that if I presented it as a fait accompli you guys couldn't get too mad. Am I being too defensive?
Anyway, we can have a dialogue about the whole thing in the comments section. I'll try to keep abreast of any questions you may have and check in on a regular basis.
-Rusty
9 comments:
What does this mean for you? And for Meridth?
We need a little more detail, please.
We love you
-M
as far as i understand, regardless of what he goes into in the military, he'll still have to go through basic and all that crap. Even if you were in good shape, you are getting a little old to hike 20 or 30 miles with 60 pounds on your back.
I'll be honest Rusty and say that i'm a little scared for you. i know recruiters will sell you the sun moon and stars the turn around and shove you in a pile of doodoo not to mention the physical and mental strain the military can be for a person; especially for a college grad of your age. just be prepared for people to be a complete asshole to you just for fun.
all that aside, "that which does not kill you makes you stronger". we all have challenges in our lives and this will just be another one. Rusty, i have faith and confidence in your abilities, and i know if you want to do something, you will do it. Just remember to be safe and know that we support you.
we love you no matter what
ryan
We love you Edward and know that you and Meridth probably thought and prayed about this a lot. So we hope that you guys feel that this is the best decision for you.
But we want to know more details about what this means for you and Meridth. We are worried for you and want to hear more of an explanation why you are joining the army. It just seems to be a VERY difficult time to be involved in the army.
Claudia writes:
You know what I absolutely love about this is that Edward Russell Gimbel is following in the footsteps of Edward Lester Gimbel--the grandpa that you all never knew. Grandpa was older too. He was born in December 1916, and went into the service in December 1940, so he was twenty-four years at the onset of his service. He served until April, 1945, so he was almost thirty when he came out. He survived being shot down three times (I'm sure as part of Heavenly Father's plan for you all to come to earth).
But he did come out of the army with a serious drinking problem. I can remember him telling us how awful it was to see his buddies shot down, and crashing into the landscape below. We all know that this experience will change you.
I think you will come out of this experience, Edward, as more of a serious person (you're already pretty serious now), having found that your greatest reliance is upon our Heavenly Father, who loves us and strengthens us "that we may bear all things". While keeping the home fires burning, I hope that we ALL will give you our greatest support by maintaining constant communication, and praying for you always.
Karl writes:
That is a tough, mature decision. It probably isn't what we would all do, but I think it can be a great opportunity and experience for you. I know you can do it. Just stay mentally strong and stay positive. and of course, BE CAREFUL. I'm worried about your safety. It makes me nervous, but I support you... and try not to become a brainwashed weirdo like Joel Casey.
-karl
Karl, from our conversations with Edward and Meridth, I don't think Rusty will have to spend too much time as a grunt, so Caseyification shouldn't happen to him.
If I am remembering correctly, he will be at basic training for nine weeks, (Where was it Rusty? Alabama or Arizona?), have about a month off, then go to language training in Monterey, California for about a year or so.
Edward Russell, you need to share more details.
-Claudia-
Rusty writes:
Wait, Joel Casey got brainwashed? Big shocker.
Thank you all for the support, except for Mom. Minus points for schmalz. ; )
Meridth and I will have to spend some time apart, naturally. I'll be going to basic training on the 13th of February for nine weeks at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Shortly thereafter I'll be sent to Monterey, California (just south of San Francisco) for language training, for up to a year. After that, who knows.
Here's the whys:
1) After three years my student loan is gone. Blam!
2) We get to have insurance, and thus babies.
3) One of the reasons that I haven't had any luck finding work in the intelligence field is because I don't have a top secret clearance. Imagine that the Department of Justice gets X amount of money to perform background checks on potential analysts and the Department of Defense gets X times a million. So yeah.
I go in the army, I get clearance, I get out, I get a job with the bureau.
4) I got the skills (i.e. the test scores) to be a linguist. That means that I'll be paid to learn a language critical to the counterterrorist/counterintelligence field. If I have an MA, AND experience AND a critical language I'll get snapped up like gangbusters.
5) I got a $31,000 bonus (to be paid over the next few years).
So am I going to go to Iraq? Not for at least a year. And who knows what the situation on the ground is going to be in Spring 2009?
And yep, I'm doing Basic. They have minimum requirements (all of which I meet) and they build from those. I'm all about it. Rock!
Anywho, it'll all work out. I'm confident that my background, my training and my attitude will see me through this challenge.
Thanks, you guys rock.
-Rusty
And...as Meridth reminded me....when we have more disposable income we'll be able to get her business rolling. Yay!
-Rusty
wow rusty that is very manly of you. what a hard decision that must have been for you and meridth to come up with. i hope it works out for the both of you. we wish you all the whatever you need at a time like this.
love you crazy
Post a Comment