Monday, March 19, 2007

So what's in your CD player Mk. 2...

Just thought I'd get an update on what everybody's been subjecting their ears to.
_______________________________________________

Right now I'm running through a playlist that's...

...three parts Bob Dylan...

...one part Ben Folds...

...one part the Shins (their new album is GREAT)...

...one part Iron & Wine...

...a generous handful of William Shatner...

...a pinch each of Elliott Smith, the Decemberists, Ratatat and Minibosses.
________________________________________________

An artist who I just bumped into (for those who love 50's and 60's soul, or more accurately music that SOUNDS like 50's and 60's soul) is James Hunter.

The record is called "People Gonna Talk," and it is hands down the most fun I've had with an album in a long long time. Take everything good about early sixties bubblegum, drain out everything that wasn't good, fill in the gaps with James Brown-esque soul, add a dash of Van Morrison and a dynamite horns section, and you start getting an idea of how listenable/dancible this record is. Just try not to get up and shake a little booty. I DARE you!

Honestly though, I'd recommend this record to everyone...everyman and pretetious music snob alike. I suspect (from the lack of email about it) that you guys (understandably) weren't big fans of Beirut. I forgot how weird it really is. But James Hunter? Oh man, everybody can dig on it.

9 comments:

a gimbel said...

I heard a GREAT song on Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion (NPR's Saturday night feature) called "Taylor, the Latte Boy", by Kristin Chenoweth. Karl downloaded one of her discs for me, and from the titles, it sounds like she is pretty Christian Rock, (think Amy Grant). But, she has a beautiful voice, and the song is just delightful! "Taylor, the latte boy, brings me java, brings me joy. Oh, Taylor, the latte boy, I love him, I love him, I love him." If you humor me, and listen to this song, I really think you will enjoy it.

Love, Claudia

betsey said...

Can't you just picture mom singing and dancing along to the radio?

Edward said...

Having now heard the song...yes I can.

-Rusty

a gimbel said...

i've heard the song. Can't say that I enjoy it. Sorry mom...

-karl

a gimbel said...

I had sam download the robin thicke album for me. It's pretty girly, but whatever. And on the way home from california we listened to Ricky Gervais podcasts, which are pretty funny.

-karl

Edward said...

Yeah, I listened to those all last term at the recommendation of Alex Faurote. Great stuff.

-Rusty

a gimbel said...

i heard a william shatner thing the other day on the radio that i thought kicked some heiny. i can't write a whole lot because i'm at work, but a kid here at my place of employment who, after some prodding, whipped me up a fun punk compilation. one of my favorites on the whole cd is a band called Against me! (i believe the exclamation mark is part of the name). i really like their sound. its punk, but with a lot of fun influences thrown in. good times.

tomorrow i am looking forward to picking up the new modest mouse. yes i know they (as the band seems to grow) are moving more toward studio mainstream, but i still love his voice and his interesting melodies.

back to work

-ryan

Edward said...

I tell you Ryan, if you like Modest Mouse, you'll like Built to Spill.

And it turns out they're from Boise. How many indie-ish rock bands come out of the intermountain west? (Okay, the Shins are from Arizona, but that's more like the southwest...)

-Rusty

emilychristine said...

I just saw Hairspray when I was in NYC so I downloaded the soundtrach and have been singing "Good Morning Baltimore" alot, I'm not sure Karl appreciates it though. I have Yellowcard in my car right now because they're coming to IU and I want to refresh so I can sing all the words :)