Monday, March 12, 2007

A request, if you please...

Meridth, my favorite person with vowels in their name, is having a pretty tough week. Or I guess I should say that since Nick is having a pretty tough week, Meridth's having one too. Nick's had pus building up in one of his lungs for the past several and last week he had it surgically treated and he had some more plumbing installed. He's got two tubes (1' in diameter) inserted into his chest. He says it "hurts like hell" to breathe, which you can't really avoid. Anyway, he's still in the Horspital and my request is simply that you guys try to find time to touch base with her this week, either via email (Rothy.Squidling@gmail.com) or per telephone (619-442-0594). She would be thrilled to hear from any of you and she's feeling pretty lonely (as there isn't "a Gimbel around") so anything you could do to comfort her would make me feel a lot better too.

So yeah, keep praying for Nick (if that's your wont) but something I was thinking about today: Nick's only a year and a half older than Dad. These things (Grandpa too, natch!) get you thinking about mortality, that's for sure.

Anyway, back to the salt mines of academia...

-Rusty

7 comments:

a gimbel said...

Meridth,

I am so sorry! I remember how hard it was to watch my dad go through all the different types of hell that hospitals sometimes have to put their patients through, and it left me an emotional wreck. I am thinking of you all, and praying that all will improve. It's a good thing that Nick went in to this so strong, or he would not be able to tolerate it all. Dad was just too feeble and weak, and the time spent without food and nourishment made him even weaker, until he couldn't pull out of his downhill slide. I love you so much. I love Nick, too. Your parents are such wonderful people!

You're in our hearts!
Claudia

betsey said...

All gimbels heart Meridth

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

Thanks you two,

My Dad's been hospitalized 3 months out of 5 (since he was diagnosed in November), and this last emergency visit was the 5th time he had a near death experience. His right lung collapsed as Edward said...It was really scary. He was screaming for 12 hours in the ER because of the intense pain. It was quite frightening.

I think my Dad will make it... but this really has been hell. I'm hoping after we pull the five tubes out of his body (2 in the lung, 2 in the kidneys and a clostomy bag)... he will be able to endure the pain more.

Anyway...I'm glad to be here...it's nice to feel like I can do something, even if it is just staying in the hospital.

Anyway...

thanks again,

Meridth

a gimbel said...

Even though my dad was only in the hospital for eleven days, I felt like I had been going to the hospital every day for years. You get to know the staff so well, and they start to feel almost like family., and you get used to eating in the cafeteria for every meal instead of cooking. There's lots of quiet time for reading together, talking together, watching and commenting on television together.

It's incredible what you can get used to as normal. We are ALL pulling for you and your dad, Meridth. I want to get to know him better, and find out what kinds of music he likes to listen to, and where he would go in the U.S. if he could go anywhere, and what his favorite foods are, and what his favorite hymns to sing in church are--all that good stuff! (I want to know that stuff about your mom, too, although we had a great time together in Chicago last year!)

There's a lot to look forward to, isn't there?

Love, Claudia

stacey said...

Meridth, We wish you and your family well. that sucks that you have to go through this. but at least you can be there for him. i know how hard this has to be for you and rusty, not being able to be together, but at least your at a point in your life where you can do this for your dad (and family)

take care
stacey

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

Thanks Stacey. I appreciate your empathy.

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

Thanks Stacey. I appreciate your empathy.