Okay people, I realize that no one really loves my NPR stories, but this one was JUST SO GOOD!!!
It was on a program called The Story and it was called "A Home at the Mall" I am cutting and pasting a little blurb from the website here below. The story was just so captivating and interesting. I think you should all check this out!
"An artist in Rhode Island who's lived inside a mall parking garage since 2003 will have to move. Michael Townsend set up house behind a utility door in the Providence Place Mall garage, with couches, a PlayStation, and all the comforts of home. He documented his years living in the mall online, but posted recently that his plans to update the cutlery and install wood flooring have been put on hold. Police say the free lease is up."
Not much new to report from Team Hawkins. Baby Hawkins is due on November 30th and we are paitently waiting for her arrival!
6 comments:
neat. I would like to read a little more about why exactly they were doing it. I think they think they're a little cooler than they really are. I've been thinking about it, if I had another year of college I would try to live on campus. Have a small bed in the suburban and just buy a parking pass. Sleep there when it was warm enough, go into some buildings when it wasn't. Most buildings lock up around 10, but don't kick people out if you're already in. Also the business lounge has satelite and I imagine I would take part in more on-campus activities like lectures and free movies. And of course i think I would get more work done. More reading. And probably meet more people... but it couldn't be done if I had friends or emily around because then I would just hang out with them and end up living on their couches. Needless to say I thought about this before.
-karl
I've heard about people living on BYU campus. The engineering building has showers. This may all be urban legend, but I think it could be done
I gotta tell you...you guys are scaring me! I really love having a safe haven from the world--a place where I can go that is comfortable, private and has all the accommodations that I have come to expect from life.
I suppose if a person has low expectations, he/she could survive living like this. One could probably even be "comfortable", and feel like he's really "sticking it to the man".
I just hope I never have to be homeless. If any of my kids find themselves homeless, they can come and stay here for a while (knowing that they will have to put up with Ed's criticism, sarcasm, and overt nagging!)
But, on a certain level, I do have to admire the resourcefulness of those who are trying to creatively subsist.
Claudia
What comfort would I be missing on the IU campus? This place is great. I have quiet areas all over the place, showers, bathrooms, everything I need. It could be done mom. I'm going to suggest it to my kids.
-karl
ryan, what is your address because I have you for the christmas exchange or whatever. and what do you want? Or what do you not want. We'll see what happens.
-karl
i'd post it, but i might attract some stalkers (you know who you are), but mom can give it to you over the phone or you can just call me.
-ryan
Post a Comment