Tuesday, November 20, 2007

What are YOU thankful for?

I know we are never supposed to end a sentence with a preposition, but I got tired of looking at the NPR blog and worrying about how Karl was going to live once he gets to Greensburg, so I thought I would ask the Eternal Question--for what things in this life are you grateful?

I know, I know.....how trite. You know the first things that are going to come out of the mouth of Mom--I'm thankful for my (extended) family, I'm thankful for the gospel, I'm thankful for my home and my job..blah, blah, blah. So when you answer this blog, think about it a little bit, and tell some things we may not already know.

I will say two things. I am really grateful that I got to spend the last year and a half administering to my own father. How I love and revere him. He was so smart (that's where you guys get all your brains, by the way), and he was so patient in his infirmities. I hope I will be as gracious and courteous when I get old. All in all, it was a wonderful experience.

The other thing. I am incredibly grateful for the love of such a good man. Sunday, when I was fretting and stewing about how I was going to get the missionaries up to Fort Wayne for a special meeting, your dad agreed to go with me, even though it was a testimony type meeting, and even though he was busy working on the ceiling of the garage. He made this huge, incredible sacrifice because he loves me. I am moved beyond tears that I can be the recipient of such love.

So, how about it? Is this too corny for the too cool, too sarcastic rest of us? I look forward to hearing from you.

5 comments:

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

I'm definitely not "too cool." Hee hee.

I'm really grateful my dad is alive and starting to get healthy. (He has one more operation to go.)

I'm grateful I get to live with Edward.

I'm grateful you guys are my in-laws. (My sis has pretty crazy/unstable in-laws and she's jealous).

...and I'm grateful for a holiday that recommends that I gorge myself with delicious food.

a gimbel said...

i really want to say i'm thankful for my awesome wife Casey and to two amazing daughters. they do so much for me and i can't tell them enough how much i love them. i guess thats the given.

other than that, i'm thankful for everything thats happened in my life. the good and the bad. without all of these things, i would not have the abilities i have, and the lessons learned from past mistakes. some of them i haven't learned from yet, but they keep me trying to be better. all these things have shaped me into who i am today. i don't know that i can think of any one thing.

thanks everybody!!

ryan

a gimbel said...

I'm thankful for Mom and Dad being so responsible and helping me in any way they can. Their generosity and caring is a great example. Sometimes I take for granted all the ways they help me out. Sorry!! Thanks Mom and Dad!!

-karl

betsey said...

Richard and I are very thankful that Baby Hawkins hasn't arrived yet :) Actually, we are very excited for her arrival when ever she decides to join our family!

We are thankful that the pregnancy has been very good so far, and that hopefully the labor and delivery will be okay.

We are thankful for our educational opportunities.

We are thankful for the opportunities we have had to do our church work-Richard with the primary kids in Cubs Scouts and Betsey in the Relief Society.

We are VERY thankful for our families! We have the best family in the world. We love you all so much!

stacey said...

i am greatful for this blog - cause with out it i would have no idea what would be going on in the gimbel livelyhood. i am so greatful to be able to call each and everyone of you FAMILY.
thanks and have a wonderfull safe holiday season.