Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Dream Job



Marjorie started her new job yesterday. Karl is starting a new job in December. Ryan recently changed positions within his company, Edward and Meridth have new jobs on the horizon. I've got a new "job" coming up in 8 weeks as a mom. All this started me thinking about what my "dream job" would be. If I had no constraints at all, what would I want to be doing with my time?

Initially, I thought that I would be good as a professional television watcher. I love T.V. I'm have a very low standard at what television shows I enjoy watching. I can watch Ken Burns "The War" just as easily as I could watch Brett Michaels Rock of Love. It is all good to me. But then I realized that I start feeling a little sick if I watch more than 5 hours of television. I start feeling physically ill. I don't think that is a job I could do everyday for 8 hours a day.

Then, I decided that I would be a good baker. I would like to own a bakery and make delicious yummy cupcakes and treats all day long. I enjoy trying out new recipies and I really love to eat cupcakes.

But then I thought about working for my favorite radio show "This American Life" and decided that it would be a close race between owning a bakery and working on This American Life.

So how about all of you? What are your dream jobs? What would you do with yourself if you had no constraints?

9 comments:

a gimbel said...

That's funny that you said you'd like to own a bakery because marjorie and I were talking about opening one up. We'll let you join on the project ;)

My dream job would be to play basketball professionally somewhere... maybe overseas. I would also like to be like a historical guide of chicago or an architect or a architect historian... or a fireman. I have lots of dream jobs.

-karl

stacey said...

oh my i would love to work and help with the bakery -- i hate to cook but boy do i love to bake.

a gimbel said...

Claudia writes:

I've always thought I would be a really great editor. I love the English language, with all of its rules and regulations. But, I also recognize that some conventions are stylistic, and I would probably be less grammatically correct than I ought to be.

I've also always wanted to be a disc jockey because I've been told I have a particularly mellifluous voice, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. Most of the time I usually just have that annoying "teacher voice".

I love to sing and can remember playing a game called "Spotlight" with my best girlhood chums, where we would stand in the garage spotlight and sing wonderful tunes. To this day I love doing Karaoke, but I never get out to the bars, which is about the only place where a person can actually do this. I wish I had a voice good enough to be a professional singer......

Finally I have to say that I have already had the greatest job in the whole wide world. I loved being a mother, and I loved taking care of my little ones. Maybe you all will never remember how much I loved holding you and cuddling you, and singing to you, and dancing with you to the record player, and nursing you at 2:00, when your obsidian eyes shown bright in the nightlight, and dressing you up, and reading to you even though I was so tired my mouth couldn't form the words. My memories have mercifully expunged any negative remembrances, and I think of how much fun it was to buy Christmas presents that you really wanted, and wrap them late at night, and watch you open them in the morning. I loved being in the garden with you helping me pull weeds, or harvest vegetables.

Okay, Ed said this was too long. Sorry.

a gimbel said...

way too long and super hilarious... you're funny mom.

and stacey is in... sounds like we have a bakery business on our hands.

-karl

stacey said...

absoullty (hope theres not spelling in the bakery world) - now we either all have to move to a desginated area or open 8 different ones. i say we all move into one location. i think that would beeeee much easier. and happier.

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

I want to be a children's book illustrator and edward wants to be an fbi agent.

..hooray for being a few steps away from our dream jobs.

ps. edward didn't like his "kneeders" job as a baker...thank goodness for everyone having different preferences and filling up the niches in the job world.

a gimbel said...

wait, mom. so are you telling me santa didn't wrap those presents? dammit!!

my dream job, as you could imagine, would have to do with cars.

lately, i have really been wanting to build my own car from scratch. pounding out body panels from sheet metal, welding together my own frame. i doubt i could make any money doing it, so i'm not sure if it qualifies as a job. i would absolutely love it though.

my other one would be to have my family as a race team. i really don't care who would drive. ashley, chloe, casey, me. It's not important as doing something together. it would just be a fun time. something i would be passionate about. i am very serious about getting my kids involved in karting in the near future. i think regardless of how competitive we would be, it would just be a good time the whole family could be involved in.

-ryan

a gimbel said...

ps. please ignore my glaring grammatical infractions as i'm writing this at 2:30 in the morning and i'm tired.

this means you mom.

:)

XOXO

-ryan again

emilychristine said...

My dream job would be shopping - buying things like shoes and bags and make up all day long. I've had some practice and I think I'd be good at it.