Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Deja vu...

Before...


...and after.


-Rusty

6 comments:

betsey said...

Saddness! I'm sad they cut off the branches of such a pretty tree! Richard and I have a favorite tree in LA. It in on my way to work. It's branches extend almost the whole way across the street. We'll have to take a picture and post it to the blog!

a gimbel said...

Claudia writes:

What a sorrow to mutilate such a beautiful tree, but even with all the leaves removed it creates the most masterful sculpture, don't you think?

Edward and I have been sitting out on the patio deck the past few nights, thinking about what a beautiful park-like setting our yard is. I told him I would have been in heaven to have a place such as this when I was a little girl. I loved all the flowers, the little stepping stones, and the leafy overhangs at my house in Albert Lea, and I marvel that I can own such a beautiful property as this. I wish you all could be here to enjoy the house and the memories, and the good times again.

I miss you all.

stacey said...

am i the only one not getting this - when is the before and after - cause befor it looks like there is a beuitful church behind the tree and after looks like little down town strip??? cool looking tree

a gimbel said...

I think they were probably taken from different angles. In the first photo, the little shops and stores are at the photographer's back. In the second photo, the church is behind the photographer. You can sort of tell by how the tree trunk is twisted.

Don't you just wonder what made the tree trunk twist up in the first place? I wonder how old that tree is? Rusty didn't say too much about it. You can already see new shoots coming out of scars where the branches were cut!

How are you feeling Stacey? I hope the pregnancy is progressing well. Does Kyle have any idea that he's going to have a sibling? When will you find out whether it's a boy or a girl?

This is all so exciting. I loved having children. It was the funnest time of my life!

Love from Claudia

Edward said...

Mom's right about the church. I took the first photos in September last and Meridth took the pictures afterward last week. It wasn't originally our intention to do a "before-after" shot, but when we were off-loading the photos from the camera apparatus, I remembered the first pictures.

The church behind the tree is about 1030 years old, so you do have to wonder how old the tree is. Unseen are the scores of gravemarkers and tombs that surround the tree. It's not some vernal paradise back there: it's a graveyard.

And finally, I think this breed of tree just twists. There are others of its ilk around.

-Rusty

stacey said...

aw thank you for such wonderful explanation.
I am feeling fine (sometimes to fine.) Kyle knows there is a baby in my tummy. what that means to him now, i am not sure. we will probable be able to find out the sex i think arounf aug.