Friday, June 1, 2007

Argentina!

I heard this great story on NPR about Argentina. As I am sure you are all aware, Meridth served her mission in Argentina. She was there 6 years ago during the horrible economic crisis that this story discusses. The story talks about how the country (at least some parts) have recovered from the economic crisis and are now thriving. Yeah for cool countries like Argentina and Yeah for missions!

I also like the picture of the old guy with the boot

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10520083

1 comment:

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

Thanks for the flashback Betsey and Richard!

I have to say that it was a very scary time to be in Argentina. Because of the economic crisis there, Argentina had nationwide riots. I actually got a death threat from some of our neighbors, mainly because I appeared to be a rich American. (Which comparitively I was.)...

But yeah...everyone was looting all the shops and it was very dangerous to be outside so we had to go without food for a few days. All the Argentines had it worse however. Nobody had any money and if they did it was worth squat, so most of them had to steal to feed their families.

It was crazy.

Anyway...I'm glad their economy is on the upswing. :)