karls post gave me an idea for a bit of a poll. so i'm curious what you punks have in your cd players right now. i'm not looking for your top 10 greatest cds, i'm just curious what you punks are kicking it to right now. i expect everyone to chime in for this one. i'll give you mine right now
i've got a 6 disc changer in my subie, so my 6 are
1. rise against
2. rise against (yes i have 2 of their most recent cds in my first t2 slots. what can i say, i like them)
3. cat power covers album. very mellow bluesie kinda thing. there is really only a couple songs i like
4. modest mouse (i can't remember which one, but older stuff. came out in the 90s)
5. me too and the gimme gimmes (punk covers of country songs. fun stuff)
6. tenacious D (my buddy lent me the cd and to be honest i haven't really listened to it.
thats it. i think casey has the latest death cab for cutie or the plain white tee's hey delilah single.
anyway, lets hear it folks. is brandon rolling to some guns and roses? is betsey jamming to some enya? post it up!!!
-ryan
13 comments:
you know what, i wrote that and realized how outdated that post really was. i'm sure most of you techo-hip kids have mp3 hookups in your cars or whatever. um......
ok, if the whats in your cd player now doesn't quite qualify, maybe what you have on repeat on your ipod. or whatever. and sorry for using punks twice in a row. that bugged me and i was just too lazy to edit it.
-ryan
Ryan,
Here is what I listen to
1. NPR for the commute to and from work.
2. During the day at work I listen to last FM internet radio. I tell the internet an artist I like and they play similar music to that artist.
3. When I listen to my Ipod at work, I usually listen to Neko Case, the album Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
4. At work, I also like to listen to NPR, All Songs Considered and their live concerts online.
5. At home, Richard and I have been enjoying James Taylor's greatest hits
Love you all!
Hm. The 6 cds in our car are all copied cds from our ipods.
We're really enjoying the new Nelly Furtato as Karl and Emily can attest. They have been in our car twice both old car and new car and both times, I've played that cd and said "I really like this whole cd"
I enjoy pretty much anything. But appreciate the blog as I know Betsey and Ryan always have good music selections.
I love you
-M
Margie
Lately I have been rotating between Belle and Sebastian's "the boy with the arab strap" that betsey informed me about a while ago and Sufjan Stevens' "come on feel the illinoise". At one point stevens said he was going to make an album for every state (he's made one for illinois and michigan so far) which could be interesting, but then he said he wouldn't do one for texas. One of the songs talks about the World's columbian exposition, which was a world's fair held in chicago in 1893 and directed by daniel burnham who also worked on the "plan of chicago" which marjorie bought a book about for dad for christmas and i stole and read and enjoyed. Thank you marjorie!
I also listen to stuff emily listens to cause she drives me around a lot. I really enjoy snow patrol, who i think was on grey's anatomy. The marie antoinette soundtrack isn't bad and death cab for cutie is good but i usually don't like the kind of dickheads that listen to it (of course i don't mean casey... i mean frankie from real world san diego among others). NPR is always good for car rides.
what else is in the changer that you've burned from your ipod marge? just nelly?
-ryan
Karl did you read Devil in the White City? That was a great book on Chicago and the World's Fair...is that what Margie bought Dad and you stole?
I'm glad you like Sufjan Stevens...I have the Michigan album. I really like the song about John Wayne Gacy the serial killer.
snow patrol is good. i think casey read "devil in the white city". i remember her telling me about it.
-ryan
I intend to read Devil in the white city. The book I stole from dad was just a brief history behind the "plan of Chicago" which was a book that came out in 1909 about the future of Chicago and what all these architects thought the city should become. Pretty interesting... i think i want to do boat tours like vince vaughn in the breakup ;) be a city historian.
Yeah i like the john wayne gacy song too. I like the sufjan stevens album because it makes me wonder what all these things are then i look them up on wikipedia (which school says isn't a credible source, but darn it seems informative) and then click on another link and another link. That album has made me look up all sorts of stuff.
-karl (i keep forgetting to put my name)
Chicago is a fantastic city. As Karl mentions, the book I bought for dad is an assetment of Daniel Burnham's plan for the growth of the city. Here's the blurb from Amazon.
"Arguably the most influential document in the history of urban planning, Daniel Burnham’s 1909 Plan of Chicago, coauthored by Edward Bennett and produced in collaboration with the Commercial Club of Chicago, proposed many of the city’s most distinctive features, including its lakefront parks and roadways, the Magnificent Mile, and Navy Pier. Carl Smith’s fascinating history reveals the Plan’s central role in shaping the ways people envision the cityscape and urban life itself.
Smith’s concise and accessible narrative begins with a survey of Chicago’s stunning rise from a tiny frontier settlement to the nation’s second-largest city. He then offers an illuminating exploration of the Plan’s creation and reveals how it embodies the renowned architect’s belief that cities can and must be remade for the better. The Plan defined the City Beautiful movement and was the first comprehensive attempt to reimagine a major American city. Smith points out the ways the Plan continues to influence debates, even a century after its publication, about how to create a vibrant and habitable urban environment."
Again, this city is fantasic and Mayor Daley embraces "City Beautiful" movement and continues to grow this city accordingly.
Being a docent for the Architecture Foundation tour would kick ass, Karl. You should go for it.
Oh and let's give me props for the good gift idea. ;-) Dad Rocks.
Need to go watch Prez Bush make some lame-ass promises.
Love you
-M
Margie
What is blog? Blog is...good? Future now?
Thanks for the wry comments. I'm a poor sad-sack with no internet at home. That'll change next month. My big job at the chinese restaurant is really starting to give me the opportunities to optimize my leadership potential and work to be a more dynamic source of positive empowerment.
The last ten minutes I've been reading the blog the following has appeared on my randomized playlist:
"Big Head Todd and the Monsters" from their album "Midnight Radio." Kinda a bluesy pop band. Think less "Chevy commercial" Bob Seager.
Sufjan Stevens. Me too, Karl! I've been listening to the Christmas boxed set that he released this last year. It's five EP's that he's recorded and given away to friends for the last six years for Christmas. Lots of classic caroles and new stuff. Plus it's pretty cheap for a boxed set (30 bones), and it comes with stickers, guitar tabliture, a poster, an essay, a short story, and other chintzy stuff!
"The Aquabats," the song Giant Robot Bird-Head from "Vs. the Floating Eye of Death." Great zany ska. Some of you will hate it.
Danny Elfman's soundtrack to "Corpse Bride" came next, supplying Meridth and I with all the quasi-goth bleakness we need.
And "Phish" just came on Lawn Boy from "Slip, Stich and Pass."
I've been downloading albums from an FTP server that Chris Engles set up on our web-forum. (Who's not tech-saavy?) Lots of great stuff. Lately I've really gotten into "Built to Spill." They're a fantastic band out of Portland, guitar heavy with a "Modest Mouse" vocal style and a great pop sensibility. You'll like 'em, Ryan.) We've also recently downloaded B.B. King, Albert Collins and Aimee Mann.
-Rusty
This is the first time in my life I have ever commented on a web log. Like Betsey, I often listen to NPR while driving. Even though I have XM radio in my Saturn, I get so sick of the (what was Margie's quote?) "lame-ass" songs that I hear over and over and over every day. It's as if it's Tuesday at 7:13, so we're going to play Billy Joel. Yuck! If anyone has some good XM suggestions I am wide open. Nearly every single group you guys have mentioned I have never heard of. I am definitely out of the loop, and need to expand my horizons. I mean, how many times can you listen to Joni Mitchell's "Blue"? (although I still love the album) I was up in the attic the other day doing some work and put some vinyl on my record player. It was a walk down memory lane to hear old (good) Chicago tunes, and Neil Young's "the Old Laughing Lady", some vintage Helen Reddy, and of course, the soundtrack from the original Muppet Movie. (Think preschool, Ryan)
Anyway, I love reading all your comments. It makes me realize how totally brilliant you all are.
Claudia
Yeah! Mom posted a comment! Good job mom!
C'mon mom, I'm always trying to burn you CD's. You might really like Sufjan Stevens. He's folksy and spiritual and hip, with a mid-east tinge.
Tom Waits is also on the hip-list. He lays music that glorifies American musical styles of days gone by. (blues, jazz, zydeco, freaky carnie music et al.) Raindogs is a great starter album. I'm blown away everytime I think about that album being released in 1985!
Josh Scheidler got me into the Zombies. Which, mother, you may remember from your youth. Look them up on the iTunes music store.
Post a Comment