Sometimes at work, I check the Decatur Daily Democrat for interesting articles. They recently changed their format and no longer post really interesting police blotters or wedding announcements. But today, this particular article caught my eye.
http://www.decaturdailydemocrat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2366&Itemid=27
In part, because Kathy Baker (Anne and Christy's mom) was the main witness of the crime...AND I think it took place at the Holsinger's old house...where Margie and I spent many days babysitting for the Holsinger kids (okay, it could have been the house on the other side of the Baker's, but I figure, a 50/50 shot isn't bad.)
Speaking of news, did anyone watch the State of the Union? Any assesments or observations to share? I didn't watch, I was in class and Richard and I don't have tv (we are too lazy to set it up). I jsut heard the review on NPR afterwards.
11 comments:
Hm. Yeah. We watched the SOU. That prez of ours is just so damn engaging. What a sap. Did NPR have any interesting commentary?
And I'm waiting for my upload to YouTube. Get excited!
-M
Oh and I like the part of the article that says Kathy Baker was a teacher for, "...some 30 years." "Some 30 years." In what bizarro world is that grammatically correct?
by the way, after the SOU GWB has typically gone out and stumped for his issues the next day. This year, he went the next day to Delaware (a 22 minute flight). His speech was VERY unscripted. NPR played clips of it. It was such a sharp contrast to his speech the night before.
What I got out of the commentary was that
1. Nancy Pelosi blinked during the speech an alarming number of times
2. GWB wasn't as enthusiastic as he had been in the past. he is probably getting worried about his legacy
3. This is the 3rd time he has tried to promote a guest worker program for immigrants. I still don't know how I feel about this idea
4. People in Louisiana were annoyed that he didn't mention Katrina recovery once. I'm taking a policy implementation class right now, it is really interesting to see the implementation problems we discuss in class going on with Katrina
The blinking thing I heard. The 'un-enthusiastic' thing I heard.
And YouTube still hasn't uploaded my file. I need to meet some folks, so I gotta shut down. I'll try again tonight.
Kisses
-M
the other thing that i thought was funny is that the very next day, the senate nixed his troop expansion idea. his poll levels are at all time lows. funny stuff. he made comments about developing alternative fuel sources. responses there were "i'll believe it when i see it" and "show me the money".
-ryan
The W getting excited about alternate fuels? Right.
I read his 2. inaugural for a class the other week, then I read his fourth state of the union: all about how we're winning in the middle-east. When I read this last one, I could hear his un-enthusiastic tone in his words. It was a funny contrast, a far cry from the cocky Texan frat-boy who stole the election. He's gotta be sweating bullets after last Novemebr.
About Pelosi, I liked how Bush made a big deal about being the first president to get to say the words "Madame Speaker." As if he was tickled pink to have his party ousted. I failed to notice the lack of Katrina. Interesting. As for the troop surge, I can't believe he can call this a "change in strategy," since "Vietnamization" was basically the same thing and Nixon tried it in 1970.
And Ryan, what the senate pushed through is a non-binding resolution, meaning it's just a bunch of senators saying they don't approve. As the president is the Commander-in-Chief, all the senate can do is pull the funding for the troops. Which makes them look bad, like they don't support the troops. Or maybe it would make the W look bad for being so stubborn about staying in Iraq. Either way, it's a face off and a power struggle for the fickle public opinion.
-Rusty
yeah, i know. they were trying to find a nice way of saying "you suck" without totally disempowering him.
-ryan
Is everybody as frustrated as I am about this whole thing? I feel so powerless as I watch this idiot flush our whole country down the toilet (sorry, Brandon). What he wants to do to the insurance industry will certainly screw your father and I. And I keep wondering when people are going to notice that the emperor has no clothes on when it comes to no child left behind legislation. Boy, there is a terrible anti-public school sentiment in that whole law! Everything they propose will not help students improve if we don't address all the social issues that impact their performance. And don't even get me started on Iraq.
I have to stop. I can feel my blook pressure sky-rocketing.
Claudia
Oops, that's blood pressure, not blook pressure.
"We need 50cc's of Litocane, and retorque the samophlange! Her blook pressure is through the roof!"
-Dr. Rusty MD
Post a Comment