So i'm looking through all my posts and realizing that I don't really ever post anything serious or insightful. Oh well!! Here's a picture i enjoy. AAAAAHHHHHHHHH, I'M FUNNY!!!!!!
Did any of the family think it was odd that you were taking a picture of you and the picture of uncle David? Nice suit by the way...good thing I got married and you got a nice suit!
I tend to agree with Betsey. What in the world are you doing with that picture? Sort of reminds me of that shot of grandma in her casket. You want to talk about childhood memories, Rusty. That's one for the books. Thumbing through a stack of pictures and BAM dead granny. Freighting.
Anywho. Rusty. That last post. Really hard to figure out whom sent it. England. Pregnancy Scares. (Weird topic, by the way) Married for 4 years to Meridth. Yeah, that was a really taxation. Thanks for clearing it up.
David was a little creepy. I remember seeing him at my wedding and having no idea who he was. Additionally he gave us a glass salad bowl and three little salad bowls for the salad. Mom and dad had given them to him and Yoland when they got married. I guess he thought it was a sentimental. I thought it was cheap :) Just kidding!
i wished i would have had the thumbs up going in that picture. i have a picture of me with a 7 foot tall rooster in vermont with the standard thumbs up. i guess its my thing. morbid humor is fun. :) everyone had left the room at that point by the way. that whole funeral was kind of a strange thing. a glimpse into our roots? doubtful. i was a pall bearer. yes, the suit is pee eye em pee PIMP. thanks betsey. i have used it since quite successfully.
For those who didn't have the distinct pleasure of attending this particular Sumner funeral, it was a white wash. Everyone conveniently failed to mention that David died of AIDS. It was cancer. Believe it. Mom did alright, she talked about the mistakes people make in life and the noble goal of forgiving those who hurt you. Yolande's words were equally about healing and forgiveness. Nobody else really wanted to deal with it.
Oh well, it was a good time anyway. The casket had four little plaques on the corners showing things that signify his life. I don't remember what they were. (When I go, BLANK PINE BOX, okay?)
Mom must have a thing for corpses. She tried to pull Meridth over to see David's. Meridth wasn't all that into it. Oh well, different people mourn differently, and that's alright I guess.
I don't even know what to say in response to this. I always laugh to see people getting their sense of how weddings or funerals should be based upon idealized movies or television shows. I went to Tamara Wynn's wedding (at the chapel) the other night, and you would have thought it was a big Presbyterian wedding or something. There were 7 bridal attendants, and 7 groomsmen, three flower girls and one ring bearer. The little girls' dresses were from that Storybook catalog, and I know they cost at least $75.00 each. All this, and the Wynn's are about to lose their house because they can't pay the mortgage payments.
Sorry, I digress. Anyway, what is a funeral supposed to be like anyway? Are there funeral police you have to answer to if you like a particular song? When we sang "Young at Heart" at Grandma's funeral, is was light and sweet, and it was what my mom had wanted. Yeah, David's funeral was a whitewash, and the casket was absolutely tasteless. All I could think of the whole time was the endless list of little children who had been sexually molested by him, or by people who he had molested. He made a big deal about having the funeral done his way because he knew he would be spending the rest of eternity having never having a say in anything ever again.
I suppose I am getting a little morbid here. I can honestly say I do not like to think of David or be reminded of his life. It was funny to see the picture that we took of Ryan with the David's picture, but I sure wouldn't want it as wallpaper on my computer.
Sorry to be such a downer. David was an incredible jerk, even an evil and wicked jerk. My feeling run deep on this subject.
Wait, Tamara Wynn got hitched? Well, good for her, I suppose. And yes, we are the Funeral Police. I want lots of blubbering at mine. I want lies heaped upon lies about how great I was. And instead of a sweet planned song. I want the family to spontaniusly break into a song of my choosing. An envelope will be taped to the inside of the casket with the title. Just improvise.
To switch off my glib-ness, what DO you and Dad want to happen at your funerals? I'm just thinking about it because Nick went through a short list with Meridth when they were together in December. Speak now, or it'll be something you may not have wanted (mud wrestling, a buffet, geraniums) and unlike most things, you absolutely only get one funeral.
Now maybe I'm being the morbid one. Anyone want to contemplate their mortality and impending demise?
Boy, did I go off the deep end on this one. Sorry family--hope I didn't offend anyone. You know what I get like when I climb on that stupid soapbox.
I want Joni Mitchell played at my funeral, okay? I want to be remembered as I was when I was younger, not what I will end up being like at 80, or whenever it is that I die.
15 comments:
We have this photo randomized as our wallpaper on our laptop. I chuckle every time it pops up.
-Rusty
Did any of the family think it was odd that you were taking a picture of you and the picture of uncle David? Nice suit by the way...good thing I got married and you got a nice suit!
I tend to agree with Betsey. What in the world are you doing with that picture? Sort of reminds me of that shot of grandma in her casket. You want to talk about childhood memories, Rusty. That's one for the books. Thumbing through a stack of pictures and BAM dead granny. Freighting.
Anywho. Rusty. That last post. Really hard to figure out whom sent it. England. Pregnancy Scares. (Weird topic, by the way) Married for 4 years to Meridth. Yeah, that was a really taxation. Thanks for clearing it up.
Kidding. I love you all so much
-M
Margie
yeah sam saw that picture and said, "that's kinda creep" but my response is... david was kinda creepy, so it's all good.
-karl
David was a little creepy. I remember seeing him at my wedding and having no idea who he was. Additionally he gave us a glass salad bowl and three little salad bowls for the salad. Mom and dad had given them to him and Yoland when they got married. I guess he thought it was a sentimental. I thought it was cheap :) Just kidding!
i wished i would have had the thumbs up going in that picture. i have a picture of me with a 7 foot tall rooster in vermont with the standard thumbs up. i guess its my thing. morbid humor is fun. :) everyone had left the room at that point by the way. that whole funeral was kind of a strange thing. a glimpse into our roots? doubtful. i was a pall bearer. yes, the suit is pee eye em pee PIMP. thanks betsey. i have used it since quite successfully.
-ryan
My favorite part of the funeral was the jazzy song, "Unforgetable." Casey and I almost peed our skirts.
Good 'ole Sumners.
~Meridth
For those who didn't have the distinct pleasure of attending this particular Sumner funeral, it was a white wash. Everyone conveniently failed to mention that David died of AIDS. It was cancer. Believe it. Mom did alright, she talked about the mistakes people make in life and the noble goal of forgiving those who hurt you. Yolande's words were equally about healing and forgiveness. Nobody else really wanted to deal with it.
Oh well, it was a good time anyway. The casket had four little plaques on the corners showing things that signify his life. I don't remember what they were. (When I go, BLANK PINE BOX, okay?)
Mom must have a thing for corpses. She tried to pull Meridth over to see David's. Meridth wasn't all that into it. Oh well, different people mourn differently, and that's alright I guess.
-Rusty
Oh, by the way Margie in your comment about me signing my last post, it would be "...who sent it." Nominative.
Because yes, I am a Grammar Jerk.
Love YOU!
-Rusty
So I just read this comments and AM glad to see Meridth signed her name. ;-)
And Rusty. I think you mean to say, "Because I am a JERK!" No adjective necessary. Just plain JERK. ;-) j/k!
Kisses!
-M
I don't even know what to say in response to this. I always laugh to see people getting their sense of how weddings or funerals should be based upon idealized movies or television shows. I went to Tamara Wynn's wedding (at the chapel) the other night, and you would have thought it was a big Presbyterian wedding or something. There were 7 bridal attendants, and 7 groomsmen, three flower girls and one ring bearer. The little girls' dresses were from that Storybook catalog, and I know they cost at least $75.00 each. All this, and the Wynn's are about to lose their house because they can't pay the mortgage payments.
Sorry, I digress. Anyway, what is a funeral supposed to be like anyway? Are there funeral police you have to answer to if you like a particular song? When we sang "Young at Heart" at Grandma's funeral, is was light and sweet, and it was what my mom had wanted. Yeah, David's funeral was a whitewash, and the casket was absolutely tasteless. All I could think of the whole time was the endless list of little children who had been sexually molested by him, or by people who he had molested. He made a big deal about having the funeral done his way because he knew he would be spending the rest of eternity having never having a say in anything ever again.
I suppose I am getting a little morbid here. I can honestly say I do not like to think of David or be reminded of his life. It was funny to see the picture that we took of Ryan with the David's picture, but I sure wouldn't want it as wallpaper on my computer.
Sorry to be such a downer. David was an incredible jerk, even an evil and wicked jerk. My feeling run deep on this subject.
Claudia
Wow and here I thought we were being too glib.
I like Ryan. And I like funerals.
And bumblebees. And robins. ; )
-Rusty
Wait, Tamara Wynn got hitched? Well, good for her, I suppose. And yes, we are the Funeral Police. I want lots of blubbering at mine. I want lies heaped upon lies about how great I was. And instead of a sweet planned song. I want the family to spontaniusly break into a song of my choosing. An envelope will be taped to the inside of the casket with the title. Just improvise.
To switch off my glib-ness, what DO you and Dad want to happen at your funerals? I'm just thinking about it because Nick went through a short list with Meridth when they were together in December. Speak now, or it'll be something you may not have wanted (mud wrestling, a buffet, geraniums) and unlike most things, you absolutely only get one funeral.
Now maybe I'm being the morbid one. Anyone want to contemplate their mortality and impending demise?
Claudia,
I love you so much and am sorry about your pain regarding this subject (ie David's funeral). I can't imagine how difficult it was and is for you.
I think you are amazing.
Love,
Meridth
Boy, did I go off the deep end on this one. Sorry family--hope I didn't offend anyone. You know what I get like when I climb on that stupid soapbox.
I want Joni Mitchell played at my funeral, okay? I want to be remembered as I was when I was younger, not what I will end up being like at 80, or whenever it is that I die.
I love you all!
Mother
Post a Comment